Avatour is currently available for standalone Meta (formerly Oculus) Quest 1 & 2 headsets, as well as on Pico VR models G2 4K, Neo 2, Neo 3 Pro, and Neo 3 Pro Eye. Most customers choose between the Meta Quest 2 and the Pico G2 4K.
Meta Quest 2
- Ease of use: The Quest 2 is entirely standalone and does not require a PC. We consider this to be a requirement for easy deployment.
- Performance: The Quest 2 is the first shipping headset to employ the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 chipset, which provides dramatically better performance than other standalone options.
- Price: Quest 2 is relatively inexpensive. The consumer version is only $299 retail.
- Visual Quality: The Quest 2 has a significantly higher-resolution screen than previous versions, with the ability to display roughly 7k horizontal resolution. When combined with next-generation capture hardware, this will enable a significant leap in visual quality for the Avatour system.
- EU Restrictions: Due to privacy concerns with the underlying Facebook platform, availability of the Meta Quest in the EU is currently problematic. Facebook is not selling headsets in Germany, and other organizations have expressed concerns as well. We are evaluating other options for our European customers.
Pico G2 4K
The Pico G2 4K is a less capable headset than the Quest 2 overall, but it is designed specifically for enterprise applications, making it a better choice for many deployments.
- 3 degrees of freedom: unlike more advanced headsets, the G2 4K does not have full 6 degrees of freedom. This is not an issue for Avatour applications since 360 videos don't take advantage of 6 DOF capabilities.
- 4K screen resolution: the visual resolution of the G2 4K is comparable to the Quest 2.
- Performance: the cheaper chipset in the G2 4K constrains performance in some situations.
Meta Quest or Pico G2 4K?
Most customers choose between these two devices. The chart below breaks down the pros and cons of these two headsets.
|Meta Quest 2||Pico G2 4K|
Other Meta Quest Headset Options
In addition to the Quest 2, Avatour also supports the previous-generation Meta Quest 1, and the discontinued Oculus for Business headsets. While the Quest 2 is the best option for most applications today, we are continuing to provide support for the older headsets.
The universe of available VR hardware continues to evolve, and we're constantly evaluating new hardware. If there is a specific headset you'd like to see us support, please drop us a line and let us know.