AVATOUR is installed on the Oculus Quest VR headset via the Sidequest app. Full instructions are in this article.
Installing apps that aren’t coming from the official store on the Quest is a little involved. If you have sideloaded apps onto your Quest before, you can use the same process to install our .apk. Otherwise, follow the instructions below:
Enable developer mode
You can skip this section if you’ve already enabled developer mode in the past.
- If you haven’t done so already, you need to register as an Oculus Developer and create an organisation.
- Next, download the Oculus app for Android or iOS. Go through initial setup.
- Connect from the app to the Quest via WiFi.
- Navigate to the settings page, then click on the Quest. Now go to More Settings > Developer Mode and enable developer mode.
- Reboot the Quest for the changes to take effect.
Install the demo via SideQuest
- If you’re on Windows, download the Oculus Go ADB Driver (yes, even though we’re using the Quest; SideQuest needs this to load apps onto the Quest). Unzip the file, right-click on the .inf file and select Install.
- Download and install SideQuest, which is a tool that simplifies the sideloading process for the Quest.
- Connect the Quest to your PC via USB.
- Inside the Quest, enable USB debugging. There should be a pop-up asking you about this. If there isn’t, you’ve already enabled it in the past.
- Open SideQuest and search for “Avatour”.
- Follow the instructions to install Avatour on your Quest.
Launch the Avatour App
After the app is installed, you can unplug your headset. Before you put it on, take note of how to find and launch the Avatour app:
AVATOUR is found by clicking on “Apps” from the main console, and then choosing the “Unknown Sources” tab from the left side. Then click on the “Avatour” in the list .
One final note: USE HEADPHONES when joining an Avatour Session to avoid audio feedback! This is a known issue with the Quest audio subsystem that affects many social apps on Quest. We’re working with Oculus to resolve and will update with a fix as soon as possible.